Monday, April 18, 2016

Sharing a Moment



Sharing a Moment- February 10, 2012

So as you all know, my husband and I are expecting our first child, literally any day now. The last 38 weeks have been such a whirlwind between work and school. Honestly, it's amazing how fast time goes when you've got something exciting going on, but slow in a way too. I don't really know how to describe it. Anyway, we decided in January that we wanted to do a professional maternity photo session so we could have something to us remember this time. I did the typical photo of myself in the mirror that every expectant mother does but I really wanted some nice photos with my husband too (any of you who know what military life is like know why that is so important).

Before I share some of the pictures, let me explain something. I really don't like getting my picture taken. Actually, I completely hate it. It's one of the most uncomfortable feelings in the world to me. My mom tries to take my picture when she visits and she always ends up with either a picture of me running away, hiding behind someone or something or one with my hand in front of my face. So the fact that I have now done three professional sessions with my husband (our wedding, our pre--deployment and now maternity) is a really big deal. And I have to say, I feel bad for the poor photographers that get stuck with me. I'm pretty sure I'm the most awkward person out there. I giggle. The entire time. Maybe because I'm embarrassed or nervous but I literally giggle in every picture. I never know what to do with my eyes, my arms, whether or not I should smile. The entire time I'm getting these photos taken I'm thinking "Wow, there isn't going to be a decent picture here and I'm wasting this poor girl's time." But I stay, keep having these wonderful people take my picture (feeling bad for ruining each one) and then go home embarrassed and sad that none of them are going to turn out.Then comes the waiting. I sit and wait for that one sneak peek, hoping that in all of the pictures taken that there is one, just one that isn't completely horrible and that I won't be humiliated to show off. And then, after a few days, that one picture shows up. And it's great! I get so excited, so happy that just one turns out ok and then I don't care about the rest.

This maternity shoot was no different then any other time I get my picture taken. I was awkward, nervous, felt like I was messing up the pictures. And at 35 weeks pregnant, I was feeling all of the things any other pregnant woman feels by that point- fat, uncomfortable, unattractive, and really insecure. And I felt like all of that would show in the pictures too. I felt so bad afterward because I really enjoy our photographer and I really felt like I was wasting her Sunday afternoon.

I got the photos in the mail this week and remembered why I like this photographer so much. She's amazing! She has such an awesome way of making people look good in their photos, no matter how bad they may be feeling about themselves. She has, once again, given us something beautiful to look back at and to really help us preserve memories. So, here are a few of the photos :)


No comments:

Post a Comment