Monday, April 18, 2016

Bittersweet



Bittersweet 08/06/11

This weekend is a happy one for Canadian military families. Our soldiers are finally coming home. My husband and I are actually heading to the base tomorrow night to welcome home all of our friends who have been away for the past few months. We are all so thankful to have our troops home and safe, which makes this morning a bittersweet one.

May 15th was the day I got the worst phone call of my life. A Canadian Chinook helicopter, carrying thirty one men, had crashed in Afghanistan. Everyone, thankfully, survived with minimal injuries. But that day, and that phone call have stayed with me. I have struggled over the past few months with keeping my emotions about that day and the negativity over the days that followed under control and often (unwillingly) relive that day. I know we got lucky with the outcome but in the days and weeks that followed I found myself thinking about what could have happened. I had nightmares of three men in uniform knocking on my door to give me news. Which makes today even harder.

Last night an American Chinook helicopter was shot down in Afghanistan. Thirty-eight soldiers were killed. Which means that there are thirty-eight families who are getting that dreaded phone call or knock on the door this weekend. Thirty-eight families who may have just recently sent loved ones overseas or who were counting down the days  to a happy homecoming. Thirty-eight families who have to make the phone calls to family members and friends. Families whose lives have been forever changed.

My thoughts are with all of these families. I am devastated by the loss these families have endured and can only imagine what they are feeling. I can only hope they can all find the strength to get through this hard time. From one military wife to another, thank you for the sacrifice your family has made to ensure the safety of everyone else. My husband said it great- we may wear different flags but we are all family.

No comments:

Post a Comment