Monday, April 18, 2016

It’s the Little Thing that Count



It’s the Little Thing that Count- 05/05/2011

So yesterday my husband informed me that he would be deployed for an extra three months. When those three months get added to the three he was already supposed to be away and then get added to the three (at least!) he was away on courses and put in to the context of our first year marriage they equal my husband being away from home for nine of the first twelve months of our marriage.
Needless to say, yesterday I was in a bit of a mood. I even went so far as to email a friend of mine (also a military wife) and have her remind me why we put up with this. She reminded, pretty plainly, that we do it because we love them. And she's right.

I never understood what people meant when they say they feel complete or whole because of another person until I met my husband. I love him with every piece of me and honestly could not imagine a different life for myself. I am so proud of who he is and what he is doing for our country.

I have to include the really big positive here. Prior to all of these deployments, my husband wasn't really big into romance (I'm sorry, but it's true!). In the first three years that we were together, he probably gave me flowers three times. In these two deployments (last year for 6 months, now this year for another 6), I've gotten "just because" flowers 4 times now. The last time being yesterday. Yesterday was our "8 monthiversary," as we call it, since we got married. It was also the day he told me he was extended. So halfway through my day of disappointment and sadness, while reading a romance novel to remind myself of what a happy couple (at least in fantasy form) should look like, there was a knock on the door and a florist holding out a bouquet of roses. That little thing, that was planned a week ago, arrived at the perfect moment.

Yesterday reminded me to make sure to take in and remember all of the little things. When a loved one is overseas or even just away somewhere, it's the little things that count. Whether it's a bouquet of flowers, a  letter/email, or that long awaited phone call. Things today are always going faster and the little things keep getting overlooked or ignored. Yesterday was a reminder to slow down, appreciate what I have and to really pay attention to the little things my wonderful husband does for me. 

No comments:

Post a Comment