Monday, April 18, 2016

Holiday Weekend



Holiday Weekend 10/10/11

Holidays are the times families and friends get together and share lots of stories, memories and usually some great food. It's a time to just be surrounded by the people you love and to feel safe and secure. Unfortunately for many military families, holidays tend to come and go with important family members missing.

This weekend was the Canadian Thanksgiving. I have always loved the holidays- the decorations all over the house, the smell of wonderful food in the oven. And just the atmosphere of family members who are so happy to see each other.

This year, my Thanksgiving had all of the decorations and food, but there was no family this year. There seems to be a trend happening that my husband is either deployed or on course during the holidays. So for me, one of the hardest things about this life, especially when he's away, is living so far away from my family. I always miss them more during the holidays. So this year, rather than spend Thanksgiving alone, I had four of my closest friends in the city over for a ladies nights. We had turkey dinner, potluck style. So the night was filled with too much food, lots of laughter, and amazing people. One thing I've learned over the years is that friends can very quickly become family, and that's how I feel about the ones I have met here. They all have a way of really making a person feel welcome.

I realized this year that I have so much to be thankful for, too much to list really. But with all of the things that happened this year, I don't know how I would have gotten through it without my mom, my dad and my grandmother. I am so thankful to have these three people in my life, and I probably don't tell them that enough but they have really been huge contributors to the strength I needed this year. They reminded me what it was like to really be able to count on someone.

And of course, my husband- the love of my life. What he and I have is by far the thing I am most thankful for and proud of. I missed him so much over this holiday weekend but I'm looking forward to seeing him in just a few days. It's always hard to be apart during the holidays but I just keep reminding myself that as one day passes, we're one day closer to being together again.

So, as another Thanksgiving comes to an end, I hope all those who celebrated had a wonderful weekend, filled with family and friends and lots of great food. And that you were able to find some way to make it special, no matter what the circumstances were.

No comments:

Post a Comment