Monday, April 18, 2016

A Time to Remember



A Time to Remember- November 12, 2011

This week was the first time I got to experience Remembrance Day in an inner city school setting and it really opened my eyes. Not only were some of the students unaware of the meaning of the day, but some of the administration seemed to forget what the day was really about when it came down to planning the assembly. The whole assembly was about keeping peace in the community, the school and in families and really disregarded the whole concept of remembering why November 11th is so important.

I spent most of the week working with my students (I say "mine" as if it's my own class but they are the students I get to work with while I do my student teaching) on different Remembrance Day activities. We read a story by another military wife blogger called "My Hero Wears Combat Boots" and the students wrote about who their own heroes are. We also made poppies and, as part of my school project, wrote "Thank You" messages to send around the country to various military bases.
It really made me sad to see that this generation of kids isn't being taught about the importance of Remembrance Day. I wondered all day yesterday how many of my students actually attended a service. And honestly, I would be surprised if more than 3 of them went. The whole week really opened my eyes to how important it is for teachers to remember to talk to their students about Remembrance Day and to help them understand why we need to take the time to remember the men and women who fought in so many wars to make sure that we are able to live the way we do.
I was fortunate enough yesterday to be able to attend a service with my husband, who was supposed to be away with work for the weekend until the weather changed their plans. This is the first time since we were posted up north that we've gotten to spend the day together. I looked around the room during the service and saw so many proud military members and their families gathered together to remember. It is really a wonderful family to be a part of.

There are really no words to express how grateful I am to all of the soldiers- past, present and future, for all that they have done for for us all. They are the reason we are able to live safely and freely. Thank you for all you have done, all you continue to do and for all that is yet to be done. You are all heroes to so many.

I hope everyone took a moment yesterday to thank a soldier or at least to think about the men and women who sacrificed their lives for yours; who have left their families behind to protect yours and who continue to fight everyday to keep you sage.

My "thank you" is to a husband, a father-to-be, a soldier and to my hero. My husband is truly a wonderful, selfless man who continues to amaze me every day. Thank you, for everything you've done. And thank you for showing me what true love and happiness is all about.  xo

No comments:

Post a Comment